Sunday 13 June 2010

The Book Protectors' Daughter


 I am flying high with a head full of love. For my children yes, of course, that is a given, but also for the novel I have just completed the first draft of. It is a story I love and that I have been mulling over for a year or more. It is called The Book Protectors' Daughter, originally it was aimed at children who are 9+ but I think it is more of a 7-10 now.
Anyway, it is complete in that the whole story is now on the page, but it needs a lot of work and re-drafting. I shall look forward to that. BPD has been my escape when the sex, drugs and alcohol from my PhD have go too much. This is because BPD is a soft fantasy novel. It is about Alice who has to save the stories of the world by rescuing The Book Guardian from The Trojan, an evil computer virus who has kidnapped him. The Trojan wants to stop children reading stories and using their imagination. Instead he wants them to use computers so he can control them. In order to rescue the Book Guardian Alice has to actually step inside some of her favourite stories and become part of them.
Who knows what will happen next with it, maybe I will be lucky, maybe it will make it off a slush pile. But at the end of the day, I have had a great time writing it. And that makes me very happy.

2 comments:

  1. It's such a brilliant feeling when a novel has finally moved from your head to the page! Well done for getting this far. It sounds like a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sue, you are right it is the most wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete