Monday, 21 November 2011
2011 SCBWI Conference
1) Your head is buzzing and you see inspiration around every corner.
2) You meet up with many fb friends find that they are just delightful in ‘real life’.
3) You are told by an author, who you have admired for years, “but you know more than I do!” Even if he didn't mean it, it felt good!
4) You get to lie down on the job….or rather you get to play the denouement for Anthony McGowan!**
5) You meet an agent who doesn’t bite your head off and spit it out. And also doesn’t say ‘What on earth makes you think you can write?’
6) You are surrounded by like-minded people who get just as excited as you about writing for children.
7) You hear Frank Cottrell Boyce say ‘A tale isn’t beautiful until it is added to.’**
8) You hear a member of the industry panel say ‘Don’t look at what’s selling, write what you want.’**
9) You hear a group of authors who write ‘Edgy’ YA fiction who all spoke so passionately about a subject that is so important to me.**
10)You get to read Candy Gourlay’s speech which makes you realise what is possible and not to give up. (Wished I could have heard it but the body had other ideas as it always seems to)
11) You can’t wait to get back to the computer to start writing as, and going back to where I started, you see inspiration round every corner.
*with thanks to Nick Cross
** There will be more detailed posts on these at a later date
This is Ed Sheeran with his Lego House, just because he is my new favourite and I have just got his CD!