Wednesday 5 July 2017

Dreams do come true...

Dreams do come true...
Strangely enough, it was fifteen years ago this September that I went back to university. I had been doing a bit of writing to deal with some disabling illness and I went to university to do a degree in English which I knew had some creative writing modules in because of it. Little did I know it would change my whole world.

Fast forward fifteen years. Last week I submitted an academic book based on my PhD, and this week, I am delighted to announce that Firefly Press are going to publish my middle-grade Second World War, adventure story, Flight, next summer. I am beyond excited as Firefly are the most incredible publishers with some fantastic titles and authors already on their list. I feel very privileged to be part of it.

When I met with Penny and Janet a few months back I really thought I was dreaming. I suddenly realised I was sitting in a restaurant discussing the cover of my novel...that's right MY novel. It felt surreal and as I drove back home I kept having to remind myself that this was for real and someone wasn't going to jump out and shout 'Only joking!'

Flight was the first story I had written outside of academia and it was joyous to have that freedom. I work for Golden Egg Academy supporting other writers, but I was also lucky enough to be mentored by Imogen Cooper myself. I can spot issues in other people's work but it is never that easy on your own. You need a professional to sit down with you and say: have you thought of this or why are you doing that? Her knowledge and understanding of books and empathy with authors knows no bounds.

I also don't have an agent so I did all the negotiating myself. Again I am very grateful to Imogen for her advice but also the Society of Authors, who were incredibly useful. Their advice was invaluable. I cannot recommend being a member enough.

When I started at university I hadn't even thought about being a children's writer. It was only when I had a chance to write some that I suddenly found my voice and realised that's where I felt at home. You see you have to take all the opportunities that come your way.

I am really looking forward to the next few months as Flight literally does take flight...

Somehow this seems quite appropriate: American Authors - Best Day of My Life

8 comments:

  1. what imagination and generosity of spirit you have, Vanessa. I can't wait to read FLIGHT - congratulations and keep spreading the light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. Today has just been amazing and the overwhelming feeling of love I have felt has been incredible.

      Delete
  2. Hugest congratulations to you! Can't wait to read Flight x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you! And I can't wait to see Flight on the shelves of a bookstore. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your support over the years Candy. You are a star xxx

      Delete
  4. I'm so pleased for you! I know how hard it is to keep up the creativity when you have a disabling illness. More credit to you for not letting it stop you. Brilliant x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Some days are difficult but I know I am really lucky

      Delete